As in most European countries, there is a gay scene in Malta. With Malta being a small country though, there isn’t a huge selection of LGBT specific venues, but there is a small but thriving gay community made up of both Maltese and foreign residents. With Malta being a popular tourist destination, there is a wide selection of clubs and bars in the Paceville & St Julians area, but only a few cater specifically to gay customers and their friends.
One of the most popular gay bar in Malta is Morpheus Bar/Lounge. Morpheus has the ability to mimic any human form and appear in dreams. His true semblance is that of a winged daemon, imagery shared with many of his siblings. Starting in the medieval period, the name Morpheus began to stand generally for the god of dreams or of sleep! So let’s make your dream also in our bar.
How to get to Morpheus Bar “the place to be and be seen”
- The new gay venue in Sa Maison. Pieta;
- Right next to Sa Maison Gozo ferry waterfront;
- From Msida to Valletta take the first left at Pieta creek waterfront and the beginning Triq Sa Maison and Morpheus Bar will be on your right;
- Traveling from Valletta through Floriana. Head for Triq Sa Maison (past the police depot) down the hill and at the bottom, Morpheus Bar will be on the left at the bottom when you reach the creek;
- From the south you head for Msida and when you reach Pieta turn right and a sharp left to Triq Sa Maison heading towards Floriana, Morpheus Bar will be on your right (ample parking available).
The newest gay club to open its doors in Malta is Michelangelo. This club is open every day from 10pm till 4am and on Suundays at 8pm till late. For more details hop on https://www.facebook.com/michelangeloclublounge!
The oldest gay bar in Malta is Tom bar in Floriana, a suburb of Valletta. Situated on Crucifix Hill, the bar has recently been refurbished and has two floors.
Upstairs, you’ll find “P-Lounge”, a chilled-out, laid back vibe with cool, mellow tunes played on the sound system, ideal for kicking back and sharing a drink with friends. Downstairs is louder, with a dance floor and DJ (there is a house DJ at Tom Bar). Such gay bars are open nightly from 8.30pm.
In the heart of Malta’s party district, Klozet club is a pumping venue open for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities on Fridays and Saturdays from 10.00pm. Popular with a young crowd wanting to party hard. Nearby is the Adam and Eve Hotel, Malta’s only gay hotel which has a popular bar and Oriental Patio. The bar is open to non-residents.
A place with a difference is the O Bar and Spa situated in the heart of Paceville in St Georges Bay. Strictly men-only, the bar is open from 10.00 pm on Friday and Saturdays, and in addition to the bar, there’s also a men-only sauna. Another place to check out is Saints Bar in Hamrun, which is popular with local transvestites.
Triq It Tiben
Telephone: (+356) 79296013
No1 Crucifix Hill
Telephone: (+356) 21250780
Ball Street Paceville, Malta
Telephone (+356) 79324333
Adam and Eve Bar
St Julians, Malta STJ 3240
Telephone: (+356) 21384083