Being both a tourist destination and a thriving business and study location, Malta has quite a few, free Wi-Fi hotspots dotted around the islands. The majority are in the Sliema/St. Julians/Valletta area, but others can be located – you just have to know where to find them. People owning a laptop or an iPod Touch, can easily obtain internet access on the hoof. Here’s a list of just some of the Wi-Fi hotspots located in the Maltese Islands.
In Malta, all McDonalds and McCafe outlets have free Wi-Fi. Branches are located in Valletta, Sliema (The Plaza), St. Julians, Paceville (Bay Street), Birkirkara, Bugibba, Malta International Airport and Victoria, Gozo.
Cafe Jubilee in Gzira, Valletta and Gozo also has Wi-Fi, ask one of the waiters for the password. There’s also open internet access in the terminal buildings at the airport. All conference hotels in Malta offer free Wi-Fi internet access too.
Other free wifi hotspots by location:
- Cafe at Marks and Spencer, Strait Street
- Cafe Deux Baronnes, Upper Barrakka Gardens (ask for password)
- Pjazza Regina, Republic Street
- The British Hotel, Battery Street
- Balluta Bay Gardens
- Bay Street Shopping Complex
- Bianco’s Cafe, Spinola Bay
- Cafe Juliani at Hotel Juliani, Spinola Bay
- Eden Superbowl
- Le Méridien Hotel – public areas
- Outside the English language schools (EC and EF)
- Westin Dragonara Hotel
- Irrera Restaurant, Ta’Xbiex
- Meet ‘n’ Eat, by the gates to The University of Malta, Msida
- Misto Restaurant, on the promenade, near The Ferries
- Pasha, by the gates to The University of Malta, Msida
- Plevna Hotel, Hughes Hallet Street, Sliema
- St James Capua Hospital, Gorg Bog Oliver Street (there’s a cafe on the ground floor)
Other locations around Malta
- Limestone Heritage Exhibition, Siggiewi
- Melita Cafe and Restaurant, San Anton Gardens, Balzan
- Reflections Bar and Diner, Mellieha
- South East Cafe, Marsaxlokk
- Trattoria 1530, Xara Palace Hotel, Mdina
To help readers, if you know of any others in Malta or Gozo (even Comino), please leave a comment.