Not that long ago, people would rarely have more than one bottle of perfume or aftershave but nowadays fragrance has become a fashion necessity and a part of our daily routine. We might wear one perfume to go to a business meeting, another to a family gathering and a completely different scent to go on a date.
A consumer survey last year found that 79% of women who use fragrance owned between two and ten bottles, with 8% owning eleven or more! It is therefore no surprise that the perfume industry is booming, with the ever expanding online market making fragrances, both mainstream and boutique, easily accessible to everyone. Every season we see a new wave of perfumes released by the major fashion houses and celebrities, and summer 2015 is no exception, with zesty notes of lemon, mandarin, orange and classic floral scents featuring heavily.
This season has seen Roberto Cavalli’s Paradiso, Viktor & Rolf’s Flowerbomb and YSL Black Opium being very popular, with Tom Ford’s Black Orchid, Dior’s Hypnotic Poison and Marc Jacob’s Daisy Dream becoming bestsellers. ‘Celebrity’ fragrances such as Rihanna Rebelle and Katy Perry’s Royal Revolution are consistently making bestseller lists around the world. Men’s fragrance is an ever expanding market with Acqua Di Parma, Dolce & Gabbana’s The One and Versace’s Eros, all proving to be popular this summer.
Malta has a great selection of beauty retailers on the high street and online including:
- Franks (www.franks.com.mt) is the largest retailer of fragrance and cosmetics in Malta, with seven retail outlets in Mosta, St. Julian’s, Sliema, Paola and Valletta.
- Debenhams (www.debenhams.com.mt) have two department stores in Tigne Point and Paola, and stock a wide range of fragrances.
- Paul & Waters The Perfumery (www.paulandwaters.com.mt) have retail outlets at Fgura, Mosta, Qormi and Paola and will deliver free all over Malta.
- Perfumery Direct (www.perfumerydirect.com) a Maltese-based online only retailer offering a good range of perfumes and aftershaves, and deliver free in Malta and Gozo.
- Perfumes & More (perfumesandmore.com.mt) have four retail outlets around Malta – in Sliema, Hamrun, Mosta and Fgura with a range of 600 fragrances to choose from.
In 2013, changes to EU aviation legislation concerning ‘dangerous goods’ restricted the transportation of perfume and aftershave between certain countries, including Malta. As a result, the overseas online shopping options for Maltese consumers are currently limited, with many of the large worldwide online beauty retailers, such as StrawberryNet and Escentual not offering fragrance delivery to Malta.