Whether you are visiting Malta for fun or work renting a car can make your stay more exciting and adventurous. More locations are made accessible to you if you rent a car, as public transport is obviously restricted. It also gives you the freedom to explore different location at your own time without having to depend on our public transport system (which is not exactly the most reliable, punctual or efficient).
Large international brand names can be found in Malta Airport, such as Avis, Hertz, Europcar and Thrifty. Many small local companies can also be found offering a variety of cars and prices.
Choosing a large brand has the advantage of a well-known reputation and a guaranteed level of service however do note that they do tend to charge premium prices for the services they offer.
Prices for Malta car hire will vary from company to company, depending on the size and reputation of the company as stated above. However the cheapest price will also depend on other factors such as:
- Time of year: the summer months are considered high season in Malta so do expect the prices to be at their highest from June till September. Shoulder months will be lower and the winter months will be the cheapest.
- Duration of rental: some companies will offer daily discounted rates if you rent a car for a long period of time.
- Type of car: most car rental companies offer different categories of cars that you can choose from, ranging from basic models to executive type cars. If you are not fussed about luxuries the lowest category should meet your needs.
- Size of car: if you are a big family or big groups you will obviously need a bigger car. Most companies offer vehicles, which seat more than 4 people. Mini vans can also be rented.
- Extras: if you wish to have extras such as Air conditioning, GPS, Automatic gears, baby seats etc, expect to pay an additional price for every extra chosen.
- Age of the driver: most companies will not allow anyone under the age of 21 to rent a car, even though exceptions do exist. Usually if the driver is between 21 and 24 the price will be also be higher for insurance purposes. A maximum age may also be applicable.
- Insurance: make sure that the insurance is included in the price or ask to get a separate one. Make sure to also check the conditions of the insurance such as the excess limit.